Built in 1906, the eight-story Hotel Alexandria was designed by noted Los Angeles architect, John Parkinson. In 1911, Parkinson and Bergstom were hired to design an addition that would double the capacity. The Palm Court was part of the 1911 addition. The Palm Court, also known at other times as the Franco-Italian Dining Room,the Grand Ballroom and the Continental Room, is a ballroom at the Hotel Alexandria in Downtown Los Angeles, California. In its heyday from 1911 to 1922, it was the scene of speeches by U.S. Presidents William Howard Taft and Woodrow Wilson and Gen. John J. Pershing. It is also the room where Paul Whiteman, later known as the “Jazz King”, got his start as a bandleader in 1919, where Rudolph Valentino danced with movie starlets, and where Hollywood held its most significant balls during the early days of the motion picture business. Known for its history and its stained-glass Tiffany skylight, noted Los Angeles columnist Jack Smith called it “surely the most beautiful room in Los Angeles. The Palm Court was designated as a City of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument Palm Court’s heyday 1911-1922.