Natacha Rambova was in Monaco to visit the American Embassy to file for an extension of her passport. It was during this time she was establishing residency in order to file for divorce from Rudolph Valentino
Born on 14 January 1866, Robert Mac Cameron, was the son of Thomas McConnell who was a newspaper publisher and a elected official in Winneconne, Wisconsin. Also, his grandmother was a first cousin to Robert E. Lee. A noted artist he changed his name in order to make his own name and way. In early twenty century, most painters of the day, would move to New York, London or Paris to find inspiration and fame in their art. Mac Cameron had studios in all three locations. In 1908, he received a medal for his work titled “A Group of Friends” and won prizes for his exhibition for “Waiting for the Doctor”. However, it was his greatest fame as a portrait painter whose work today hangs in famous art museums all around the world. In 1912, Mac Cameron painted society beauty Winifred de Wolfe whose painting was considered the embodiment of a certain type of fragile girlish charm and the portrait won accolades.
Also, he was a great friend of Robert Winthrop Chanler, whose grandmother was Mrs. William Astor. On 29 Dec 1912, he died in New York City of heart disease surrounded by his wife and children. At the time of his death, it was reported his estate retained the painting. However, I recently discoved the above painting by Robert Lee MacCameron was gifted to the Utah Museum of Fine Arts by her mother. The painting hung in the museum for years until a recent renovation and its currently in storage.
The strange disappearance of Winifred de Wolfe is greatly worrying her friends and relatives here where she was born and spent a great deal of her childhood. Though leaving Salt Lake City when a youngster, there are many of the old friends of her parents who have seen her in San Francisco where she resided for years. She is a beauty in every sense of the word, flowerlike in her loveliness, and has the brains air and breeding which distinguished her parents. Her father was the late Colonel Shaughnessy and her mother Winifred Kimball Shaugnessy a vivacious beauty who spent most of her time here until she married de Wolfe a San Francisco Hotel man.
Leatherhead Court, Surrey was a British boarding school for upper class children. For 9 years, this was considered home, and the foundation of the woman Natacha would become.
Described in a 1865 traveler’s handbook, Leatherhead must at one time of been a place of considerably more importance that at present, since the Sheriff’s County Court was anciently held here, and was only removed to Guilford at he end of Henry III’s reign. Now a large village of 4 streets, from the back of one of which extensive gardens slope downwards to the Mole, here no longer “sullen” and stealing onward toward the rich meadows of Stoke and Cobham. The river where Leatherhead Court students would often be found at art or nature appreciation lessons. This river is crossed by a bridge of 14 arches; close to which is “The Running Horse” a small inn, said to be the hostel in which Elynour Rummyng as celebrated by Skelton, Henry VIII’s poet laureate, in verses more curious than edifying. The local church were many of the students, teachers and staff would partake of Sunday services stands upon high ground of the Mickelham Road, was granted to the priory of Leeds in Kent about the middle of the 14th century, from which time it principally dates. The piers of the nave may, however, be earlier. The stain glass window of the E. Window was collected at Rouen by the Rev.James Dallaway, victor of Leatherhead for many years; during which he published his History of West Sussex undertaken at the expense of the Duke of Norfolk. There are no monuments of interest in the church. The inscription on that of Robert Gardiner (d.1571(, in the S. aisle was written by Thomas Churchyard “court poet” to Queen Elizabeth I. Leatherhead is in the midst of much picturesque and varied scenery.
For 9 years, Winifred Shaughnessy attended Leatherhead Court, a select girls school and below is information about the school that was her home during her formative years.
LEATHERHEAD COURT, LEATHERHEAD SURREY.
A RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL FOR GIRLS.
PRINICIPAL – MISS TULLIS.
The school is situated one –and-three-quarter miles from Leatherhead Station, one-and-a-half from that of Cobham, and nearly twenty from London. The Front of the House faces a little west of south, is 110 feet in length, and contains the chief reception-rooms and several of the school bedrooms. The Central Hall stands behind the chief reception rooms, is 66 feet by 27, and is open to the roof. It is used as a school reading room, for musical evenings, etc. It is heated by radiators and an open fire, and lighted, like the entire house, by electricity. Eleven of the school bedrooms open from the gallery. A weekly pianoforte recital is given in the Central Hall and occasional School Concerts, and the furnishings include a Lipp concert grand pianoforte of the highest grade. Also a Welte-Steinway pianoforte. The West extends back 162 feet and contains two Girls’ Sitting Rooms, Workshop, and four classrooms, all with School bedrooms over. One of the Sitting Rooms is used as a School Library and contains over 1,000 books for reading and reference. Besides over 1,000 ordinary reading and reference books the Library and the Central Hall contain a large number standard works on architecture, sculpture, painting and music etc. Some hundreds of photographs and lantern slides are used to illustrate the same subjects. The eastern side extends 187 feet, and contains, in addition to ordinary house ccommodation, the schoolroom, 50 feet by 20, and the studio, specially built and facing north, 25 feet by 20. The corner room with the bay window is the dinning room.
The hours of the meals on ordinary days are:
French is always spoken at two of the tables, and German at a third.
On the half-holidays the hours are:
Milk and Bun 11.00
In warm summer weather the hour for tea on ordinary days is altered to suit the changed school-hours, and, whenever possible, the meal is taken to the garden. The Schoolroom, 50 feet by 20, is used for drill and dancing lessons, class singing, lectures and assemblies. Also for weekly and occasional dances, lantern lectures, and entertainments. The end of the room has a fixed platform, which can be enlarged when necessary, fitted with head and foot lights, and a sheet for a very fine electric lantern is ready for use. The Studio is 25 feet by 20, and was specially planned for its purpose. It is lighted by a large window facing north. There four Classrooms, all well lighted, warmed, ventilated, and furnished with single desks, etc. The Workshop contains the benches, etc., needed for carving, metal work, and other handwork. The Bedrooms are divided by curtains, so that each girl has a private cubicle containing bed, washstand, etc. A few single bedrooms are also available. The Bungalow (a Sanatorium) faces south and has a lofty and pleasant invalid’s room with bathroom adjoining, a convalescent’s room and a veranda, as well as accommodation for a nurse and a maid. The chief courtyard is a quadrangle, and is used for drill and as an outdoor gymnasium when the weather is suitable. One of the rooms overlooking the courtyard is fitted as a school kitchen for cooking lessons. Lacrosse is played during the winter and spring terms, and tennis in the summer. During the summer term the lacrosse field is divided into seven full-sized tennis courts. Each girl who desires it can have a small garden.
This is the last house Natacha Rambova called home. In her later years, Natacha Rambova, was living in New Milford, CT with two Yorkies and her faithful associate Helen Ducey. When Natacha’s health started to fail, she agreed to move in with her cousin Ann Wollen and her mother Katherine Peterson. Both were her nearest living relatives and they took care of her and made legal decisions until the end. The address was 3805 Mayfair Drive, Pasadena, California. Built in 1950, this home was a modest single-family home, 1822 square feet with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. This home last sold for $313,000 in April 1995.